While Jon Bon Jovi is well-known for his musical career, very few people are aware of the good deeds he has done to improve the world. He established The Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation in 2006 with the goal of assisting local initiatives to end the cycle of homelessness and poverty. The launch of JBJ Soul Kitchen, a community restaurant where those in need can eat for free, is one of the foundation's most well-known accomplishments.
The first eatery debuted in the Red Bank region of New Jersey in October 2011. The second one began operations in 2016 close to Toms River, which was severely damaged by Hurricane Sandy in 2012.
Both establishments strive to treat people who are hungry with dignity and respect. Customers with funds and those in need are both welcome. Although there are no prices listed on the menu, those who can afford to do so are urged to donate $20, and those who are unable to do so are urged to volunteer at the establishment.
Over 105,893 meals have already been provided by JBJ Soul Kitchen. The restaurant's website states that 54% of those meals were purchased with donations and the remaining 46% were obtained through volunteer work.
Customers are not required to make a table reservation in advance. The restaurant operates on a first-come, first-served basis, but those in financial need are given preference.
Three courses on the restaurant's menu are influenced by regional American cuisine. Food at JBJ Soul Kitchen is delicious and nutrient-dense because the restaurant's garden grows its own organic produce.
The eatery gave away free meals on January 21, 2019, to federal employees and their families who were impacted by the partial government shutdown.