Interesting Facts

The great robbery: 300 million yen robbery

In 1968, a car driven by bank employees was pulled over by a motorcycle cop claiming the car had been rigged with a bomb. The cop got under the car to “defuse” the device. When the car started to smoke, everybody ran. Then the “cop” just drove the car away. The 300M Yen robbery remains unsolved

Large-scale cash robberies in broad daylight frequently involve a gang of thugs who are very well-armed. Although not always. Sometimes all you need is a bunch of gullible guards and a big lie. That was the case with Japan’s largest robbery, in which a vehicle being guarded by four security personnel had just under 300 million yen (equal to about $820,000 in 1968) stolen from it. The “robbery of 300 million yen” is still unsolved.

On December 10, 1968, a motorcycle policeman pulled over a car carrying four Nihon Shintaku Ginko Bank employees who were transporting ¥300 million in bonuses for Toshiba factory workers. The bank employees were informed by the approaching policeman that the branch manager’s home had been bombed. He continued by saying that the police had been informed that dynamite had been planted under their car. The policeman went underneath the car to look for explosives as the four guards exited. The bank guards soon observed smoke and flames coming from underneath the car. As he rolled out, the policeman yelled that it was about to explode. The policeman got in and drove off with the money as the terrified guards fled.

The investigation was extensive. Using 780,000 montage pictures all over Japan, approximately 170,000 policemen went through 110,000 suspect names. But they failed to capture their thief. 120 pieces of evidence, including the “police” motorcycle and the “smoke and flames,” which turned out to be an ordinary flare, were discovered at the crime scene. Later, police discovered that some of the “evidence” had been skilfully planted there to muddle the investigation.

Seven years had passed since the investigation began, and few questions had been resolved. The thief was released from all civil obligations in 1988. This indicates that he can openly admit his guilt without worrying about being detained or prosecuted. Nobody has yet to speak up.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x